Fixed Term Contract
Senior Lab Technician - Night Shift
We're currently seeking Warwickshire-based Senior Lab Technicians experienced in molecular biology methods to work within a state of the art, high output diagnostics laboratory environment as part of the UK's NHS Test and Trace programme.
As well as playing a vital role in supporting society's return to a more normal way of life by helping to break the chains of COVID-19 transmission, you will also gain invaluable experience and exposure to some of the country's most highly skilled individuals in the scientific community.
This represents a once in a lifetime opportunity to go above and beyond to support public health, while also extending your already accomplished technical skills and positioning your Scientific career for further success and growth.
As a Senior Lab Technician, you will have extensive experience running complex laboratory processes and playing a principle role in performing the more complex technical assays. You will provide supervision of testing within a specific section of the process (e.g. sample processing, extraction, PCR preparation), and will be the primary point of contact for issues in the lab and involved in hands on issue resolution.
You will be responsible for working to ensure that processes are carried out safely, efficiently, and to the laboratory's required standards. This includes creating and reviewing technical documents and SOPs compliant with the laboratory's accredited standards.
This role requires you to be experienced in molecular biology methods. Senior Lab Technician roles are available across Sample Preparation, RNA extraction, and PCR teams (or equivalent for alternative assay procedures).
In order to be successful, you'll need the following skills and qualifications:
- BSc Honours degree in a biological science
- Extensive experience in a laboratory setting (academic, clinical or industrial)
- Experience of using a biosafety cabinet
- Experience of using and troubleshooting PCR methods
- Experience of maintaining documents and procedures within laboratory accreditation specifications (ISO15189:2012 / ISO17025:2019).
- A comprehensive understanding of health and safety protocols in a lab environment
- Evidence of excellent communication and team-working skills
- Evidence of excellent attention to detail
In addition, the following education and experience are also desirable but not mandatory:
- Degree in Biomedical Sciences
- PhD or significant experience of problem solving in a lab environment
- Experience of using liquid handling robots (e.g. Hamilton liquid handling systems)
- Experience of viral RNA testing using real-time ePCR methodology or end-point PCR
- Significant experience in molecular biology, including PCR and immunoassays
- Experience of working with LIMS
- Knowledge of health and safety regulations and experience
- Significant experience of handling human biological samples
- Experience with handling human biological samples and working at containment level 2 or containment level 3
Please note that as a Senior Lab Technician, you are not required to have extensive experience across all of the desirable competencies described above, but applicants are expected to have relevant experience for the competency which they would oversee (for example an applicant for a role overseeing a PCR team would be expected to fulfil all the criteria in relation to PCR methods, but not necessarily the criteria related to RNA extraction). Please note you will also be required to pass BPSS clearance.
As well as a competitive rate of pay (with a 20% uplift applied for night working and a retention bonus), you'll receive comprehensive training on relevant lab procedures and equipment.
This night shift pattern will require you to work on the following shift pattern and will require full flexibility: 37.5 hours over 3 days (Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday).
We do also offer alternative shift options available, as follows:
- Daytime (please note you will be required to work one weekend day per week on this shift)
- Part-time nights
To learn more, please speak to our team.
You will also be joining a diverse and hugely welcoming team. Diversity at NHS Test and Trace is about reflecting the communities we serve, holding the principles of equality and inclusion at the heart of everything we do and all that we stand for, embracing differences, creating possibilities, and growing together. We aim to foster a culture where individuals of all backgrounds feel confident in bringing their whole selves to work, feel included and their talents are nurtured, empowering them to contribute fully to our purpose.
This is literally a once in a lifetime opportunity to join a team of highly skilled individuals, all focussed on delivering the best possible outcome.
Please be aware that BPSS (Baseline Personnel Security Standard) including a media check, is the required level of screening for all staff working at the Leamington Spa Laboratory.
If you're ready for a new challenge and want to be part of the team delivering this essential lab work, please apply today.
This job advertisement refers to an assignment with NHS Test and Trace. The Impellam Group is working in partnership with NHS Test and Trace so you will be employed on a fixed term employment basis with an Employing Agency within the Impellam Group and not directly employed by NHS Test and Trace. Employing Agencies belonging to the Impellam Group include SRG, Medacs, Lorien and Blue Arrow. Contractual employment terms and conditions will be set out by the Employing Agency.