We're currently seeking Post and Pre Extraction Technicians based in and around Plymouth to work within a state of the art, high output diagnostics laboratory environment as part of the UK's NHS Test and Trace programme.
As well as playing a vital role in supporting society's return to a more normal way of life by helping to break the chains of COVID-19 transmission, you will also gain invaluable experience and exposure to some of the country's most highly skilled individuals in the scientific community.
This represents a once in a lifetime opportunity to go above and beyond to support public health, while positioning your Scientific career for further success and growth.
Day to day activities in your role as a Post and Pre Extraction Technician will include:
- Undertake sample reception, preparation, analysis and recording of results in accordance with approved procedures.
- Liaise with line manager as part of a team delivering a high quality protocol based technical service under the supervision of scientific staff
- Communicate with a range of colleagues and external suppliers/stakeholders
- Operate sophisticated, automated laboratory equipment and perform scientific techniques under supervision
- Appropriately handle body fluids and materials, including high risk specimens
- Report results in accordance with departmental Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and as appropriate to grade
- Act as supervisor for support grade staff members as agreed with the laboratory management team
In order to be successful in the role of our Post and Pre Extraction Technicians you'll need the following education, experience and skills:
- Candidates need to hold good education up to A levels including a science subject/ NVQ 4 or IBMS Certificate of Achievement (Part 2) or Foundation degree.
- It would be beneficial to hold a degree in a biology based subject, although not essential.
- Successful candidates need to have previous experience working in a relevant laboratory and have the experience and knowledge of duties required to support senior laboratory staff.
- It is essential to have the ability to communicate clearly, follow instructions, have accurate record keeping skills and be able to make decisions.
- Candidates will be expected to train, support and advice less experienced staff, such as trainees, students and Medical Laboratory Assistants therefore previous supervisory experience is required.
You will be joining a diverse and hugely welcoming team. Diversity at NHS Test and Trace is about reflecting the communities we serve, holding the principles of equality and inclusion at the heart of everything we do and all that we stand for, embracing differences, creating possibilities, and growing together. We aim to foster a culture where individuals of all backgrounds feel confident in bringing their whole selves to work, feel included and their talents are nurtured, empowering them to contribute fully to our purpose.
This is literally a once in a lifetime opportunity to join a team of highly skilled individuals, all focused on delivering the best possible outcome.
If you're ready for a new challenge and want to be part of the team delivering this essential lab work, please apply today.