Fixed Term Contract
We're currently seeking Covid Screening Programme Laboratory Assistant in Leicester to work within a state of the art, high output diagnostics laboratory environment as part of the UK's NHS Test and Trace programme.
As well as playing a vital role in supporting society's return to a more normal way of life by helping to break the chains of COVID-19 transmission, you will also gain invaluable experience and exposure to some of the country's most highly skilled individuals in the scientific community.
This represents a once in a lifetime opportunity to go above and beyond to support public health, while also developing first-rate technical skills and setting your Scientific career up for future success.
You will be joining a supportive environment and will be provided with training and accreditation for the role and processes you are required to undertake.
As a Laboratory Assistant you will be expected to follow standardized operating procedures which includes; sample reception duties including tracking of samples on a LIMS system, labelling and/or barcoding and racking of samples.
You will be responsible for handling of sensitive samples for processing on analysis equipment, receiving deliveries of reagents and consumables, ensure accurate stock control records are kept and escalate any issues with stock levels, damages, shortages or late arrival of stocks.
You will be handling waste tasks including safe disposal of clinical waste and general housekeeping duties to ensure laboratory standards are maintained, including basic laboratory equipment cleaning and maintenance as directed by the line manager.
As a Laboratory Assistant you will be working flexibly and undertake any other duties and ensuring you are working in a safe manner according to local Health and Safety policies and procedures and quality standards.
In order to be successful in the role of the Laboratory Assistant you'll need the following education, experience and skills:
- GCSE Maths and English or equivalent
- A science degree
- Evidence of ability to work effectively as part of a team and manage own time*.
- Evidence of ability to work with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail*.
- Evidence of good communication skills*.
- Ability to follow strict protocols and work within health and safety guidelines.
- General IT skills including database i.e. Excel.
- Demonstrate flexibility and a willingness to take on a variety of tasks depending on the operational needs of the service through on-the-job training.
- Previous experience working in a laboratory.
- Experience working in a Containment Level 2 laboratory environment with human biological samples using sterile techniques.
- Relevant experience in molecular biology techniques.
- Experience with using manual pipettes and/or automated liquid handling systems.
As well as a competitive rate of pay you'll receive comprehensive training on relevant lab procedures and equipment, with fantastic benefits. Please speak to our team to learn more.
This role will work on a shift pattern and will require full flexibility. Please speak to our team to learn more.
This is literally a once in a lifetime opportunity to join a team of highly skilled individuals, all focused on delivering the best possible outcome.
If you're ready for a new challenge and want to be part of the team delivering this essential lab work, please apply today.