Fixed Term Contract
We're currently seeking Deputy Lead Scientists. based in and around Berkshire to work within a state of the art, high output diagnostics laboratory environment as part of the UK's NHS Test and Trace programme.
As well as playing a vital role in supporting society's return to a more normal way of life by helping to break the chains of COVID-19 transmission, you will also gain invaluable experience and exposure to some of the country's most highly skilled individuals in the scientific community.
This represents a once in a lifetime opportunity to go above and beyond to support public health, while also developing first-rate technical skills and setting your Scientific career up for future success.
You will be joining a supportive environment and will be provided with training and accreditation for the role and processes you are required to undertake.
Working through the Lead Scientist / Laboratory Manager, and in close liaison with the Clinical Lead, the post holder will be responsible for the day to day management of staff and resources within the department. The post holder will provide technical lead and expertise within the department and will assist the Lead Scientist in facilitating the organisation and management of all technical work within the specialty.
- To act as deputy for the Lead Scientist in the department
- To be responsible for the day to day operation and staff management within the department, ensuring the uninterrupted delivery of a quality specialist service, managing deficiencies of resources where necessary, under the overall direction of the Lead Scientist
- To assist the Lead Scientist in organising and facilitating in-house training, testing and certification of technical staff and in-house training of junior medical staff if required
- To assist the Lead Scientist in the setting and maintenance of standards within the analytical service
- To be aware of financial factors relevant to the work of the service and to contribute when required to the formation of consequent proposals for service development
- To assist the Lead Scientist in implementing operational policies
- To deputise for the Lead Scientist at meetings as required
- To provide discipline specific support for the recruitment and retention of staff. To take responsibility, as delegated by the Lead Scientist, for recruitment of staff grades at band 7 and below
In order to be successful, you'll need the following education, experience and skills:
- MSc in Biomedical Science Biomedical Science/ Medical Microbiology / Virology or equivalent
- Extensive relevant specialist laboratory experience
- Experience of working at a management level
- Experience of recruitment process
- Good grasp of Health & Safety issues, COSHH, CPA/ISO, HTA process & quality issues
- Excellent verbal and non verbal communication skills. Ability to actively listen to and hear peoples issues and concerns. Ability to communicate difficult, complex and contentious information in a way that is heard and understood
You will also be joining a diverse and hugely welcoming team. Diversity is about reflecting the communities we serve, holding the principles of equality and inclusion at the heart of everything we do and all that we stand for, embracing differences, creating possibilities, and growing together. We aim to foster a culture where individuals of all backgrounds feel confident in bringing their whole selves to work, feel included and their talents are nurtured, empowering them to contribute fully to our purpose.
This is literally a once in a lifetime opportunity to join a team of highly skilled individuals, all focussed on delivering the best possible outcome.
If you're ready for a new challenge and want to be part of the team delivering this essential lab work, please apply today