Fixed Term Contract
We're currently seeking Deputy Lead Scientists based in and around Berkshire to work within a state of the art, high output diagnostics laboratory environment as part of the UK's NHS Test and Trace programme.
As well as playing a vital role in supporting society's return to a more normal way of life by helping to break the chains of COVID-19 transmission, you will also gain invaluable experience and exposure to some of the country's most highly skilled individuals in the scientific community.
This represents a once in a lifetime opportunity to go above and beyond to support public health, while also developing first-rate technical skills and setting your Scientific career up for future success.
You will be joining a supportive environment and will be provided with training and accreditation for the role and processes you are required to undertake.
If of interest and you meet the criteria of the below, please apply via the following link - https://bit.ly/34DZEaT.
As a Deputy Lead Scientist, you'll work through the Lead Scientist / Laboratory Manager and in close liaison with the Clinical Lead to facilitate the organisation and management of all technical work within the specialty. You'll be responsible for providing technical lead and expertise, as well as the day to day management of staff and resources within the department.
Within this position, you'll be providing discipline specific support for the recruitment and retention of staff. You'll also be involved in designing and delivering a system of regular audits in collaboration with the Quality Management team and senior staff within the service.
In order to be successful, you'll need the following education, experience and skills:
- MSc in Biomedical Science / Medical Microbiology / Virology or equivalent
- Extensive relevant specialist laboratory experience
- Prior experience working at a management level
- Knowledge of the recruitment process, supervisory and training experience
- Experience of laboratory computer systems
- Experience of conducting staff appraisals
- Experience of out of hours working
- Experience of budget management
- Experience of stock management and replenishment process
- Good grasp of Health & Safety issues, COSHH, CPA/ISO, HTA process & quality issues
- Excellent written communication and attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and non-verbal communication skills.
- Ability to communicate difficult, complex and contentious information in a way that is heard and understood
- Rational and logical approach to problem solving
- Able to work under own initiative and without direct supervision within responsibilities of role
- Able to manage and prioritise own workload and that of others as appropriate
- Demonstrates ability to work effectively within a team
- Demonstrates sound understanding of personal and professional accountability
- Embraces change and innovation positively and with enthusiasm
- Shows interest in facilitating learning and development of others
In addition, the following education is also desirable but not mandatory:
- State registered with HCPC
- Management Qualification
As well as a competitive rate of pay (with a 20% uplift applied for night working and end of contract bonus), you'll receive comprehensive training on relevant lab procedures and equipment.
This role will work on a shift pattern and will include day, evening and weekend shifts. Please speak to our team to learn more.
You will also be joining a diverse and hugely welcoming team. Diversity is about reflecting the communities we serve, holding the principles of equality and inclusion at the heart of everything we do and all that we stand for, embracing differences, creating possibilities, and growing together. We aim to foster a culture where individuals of all backgrounds feel confident in bringing their whole selves to work, feel included and their talents are nurtured, empowering them to contribute fully to our purpose.
This is literally a once in a lifetime opportunity to join a team of highly skilled individuals, all focussed on delivering the best possible outcome.
If you're ready for a new challenge and want to be part of the team delivering this essential lab work, please apply today via https://bit.ly/34DZEaT.