Working at Royal Leamington Spa
What to expect as our Data Scientist
As our Data Scientist, you will be responsible for the analysis of sample data, identification of anomalous results, and will have a key role in confirming the quality of batches of data before these are communicated to patients. Sample data is received through the Laboratory Information Management System database. The data then moves through a decision tree overseen by the data scientist via a specialised software package.
Our Data Scientists are responsible for the operational continuity of data analysis over a shift period to ensure sample throughput on the diagnostic lines whilst maintaining data integrity and quality.
What you will be involved in
• Support laboratory management in respect of assay analysis, day to day operational issue management, and maintenance of the end-to-end clinical diagnostics workflow for COVID testing.
• You will be expected to process large data sets accurately and work closely with quality management to uphold ISO 15189 accreditation standards.
• Manage the flow of data out of the laboratories, resulting in correct patient sample reporting.
• Analyse non-clinical data as part of process optimisation and escalate any quality control issues relating to performance to the quality manager.
• Track and manage non-conformities in a consistent way leveraging the quality management tools, issue management process and business issue prioritisation.
• Work with the quality team to ensure good change control, release management and documentation to maintain the validated state of the assay reporting system and enhance and improve the lab processes over time.
• Manage and drive interactions between the LIMS and assay reporting software and other Core Lab IT vendors to escalate, investigate and resolve support issues and product feature requests.
In order to be successful in the role, you’ll need the following education and experience:
• BSc Honours degree in a biological science or systems biology discipline or equivalent science and engineering disciplines with relevant experience
• Proven track record in analysing and interpreting large data sets and statistical analysis
• Understanding and knowledge of qPCR and the use of controls to trouble shoot the process
• Collaborative or direct experience of working within a fast paced laboratory environment
• Experience with database software and data analysis tools
• Knowledge of laboratory instrument connectivity
• For a Lead role – you will also need experience of line management and have the ability to delegate workloads and work across a remote platform.
Please note that whilst database user experience is required, training for the specific LIMS software and data handling packages to be used will be provided.
In addition, the following experience is also desirable but not mandatory:
• MSc degree in Bioinformatics
• MSc degree in Health Data Science
• Practical experience using or administrating Oracle, MS-SQL and PostgreSQL databases.
• Experience with R or other visualization and analysis packages.