Fixed Term Contract
We're currently seeking a Senior Scientific Officer based in and around London to work within a state of the art, high output diagnostics laboratory environment as part of the UK's NHS Test and Trace programme.
As well as playing a vital role in supporting society's return to a more normal way of life by helping to break the chains of COVID-19 transmission, you will also gain invaluable experience and exposure to some of the country's most highly skilled individuals in the scientific community.
This represents a once in a lifetime opportunity to go above and beyond to support public health, while positioning your Scientific career for further success and growth.
Day to day activities in your role as Senior Scientific Officer will include:
- Provide scientific expertise and support to members of the laboratory.
- Supervision of junior staff
- Responsible for shift patterns and staff management
- Knowledge of working in a Class 2 containment. Undertaking molecular and laboratory techniques including RNA extraction and qRT-PCR.
- Experience operating liquid handling machines would be advantageous.
- Maintaining laboratory procedures in line with ISO15189:2012 / ISO17025:2019 laboratory accreditation specification
- Troubleshooting processes to ensure that all laboratory processes and procedures are carried out in line with the laboratory accreditation specifications
In order to be successful in the role of Senior Scientific Officer you'll need the following education, experience and skills:
- MSc in life sciences or equivalent working experience
- PhD in life sciences or equivalent working experience (desirable)
- Experience of undertaking molecular assays using automated platforms
- Knowledge of laboratory safety and good laboratory practice, specifically in relation to work with potentially infectious human blood and body fluids
- Experience and ability to lead a small team
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office package and good computer skills
- Experience working within a GcP/GxP laboratory.
- Knowledge of legislation and good practice with respect to Clinical Governance, Good Clinical Practice and Research Ethics Committees.
- Familiarity with handling biological samples (desirable)
- A high level of integrity and honesty, and the ability to maintain confidentiality of patient, client, employee and laboratory business
- Ability to maintain good laboratory records
- Strong written skillset in order to prepare technical scientific reports, documents and presentations.
- Excellent communication skills in order to work effectively with colleagues and external stakeholders.
- Willingness to work flexibly as workload demands
You will be joining a diverse and hugely welcoming team. Diversity at NHS Test and Trace is about reflecting the communities we serve, holding the principles of equality and inclusion at the heart of everything we do and all that we stand for, embracing differences, creating possibilities, and growing together. We aim to foster a culture where individuals of all backgrounds feel confident in bringing their whole selves to work, feel included and their talents are nurtured, empowering them to contribute fully to our purpose.
This is literally a once in a lifetime opportunity to join a team of highly skilled individuals, all focused on delivering the best possible outcome.
If you're ready for a new challenge and want to be part of the team delivering this essential lab work, please apply today.