We're currently seeking a Section Supervisor based in and around Cambridge to work within a state of the art, high output diagnostics laboratory environment as part of the UK's NHS Test and Trace programme.
As well as playing a vital role in supporting society's return to a more normal way of life by helping to break the chains of COVID-19 transmission, you will also gain invaluable experience and exposure to some of the country's most highly skilled individuals in the scientific community.
This represents a once in a lifetime opportunity to go above and beyond to support public health, while positioning your Scientific career for further success and growth.
Day to day activities in your role as a Section Supervisor will include:
- Responsible to manage the Lab Operators in their section
- Working with the Section Manager to train new staff and maintain training records and competencies
- Assist the Section Manager with troubleshooting any technical issues within the section
- Monitoring process changes and managing communication with Section Manager
- Assisting in performing validations of reagents
- Assist Section Manager to create and review SOPs
- Ensure all Health & Safety procedures are followed correctly
- Support the Section Manager and deputise if required
In order to be successful in the role of Section Supervisor you'll need the following education, experience and skills:
- BSc Honours degree in a biological science
- Experience of maintaining documents and procedures within laboratory accreditation specifications (ISO15189:2012/ISO17025:2019)
- Knowledge and experience of Health & Safety regulations
- Exceptional organisational, communication and team-working skills
- Experience of training and supervision of staff in a laboratory setting
- Positive attitude with proven problem-solving skills
- Willingness to participate in 24/7 shift working as required
- Be able to commit to the role for a period up until 30th September 21
It would be highly advantageous to have experience of the following:
- Experience of using and troubleshooting PCR methods
- Experience of using liquid handling robots (e.g. TECAN liquid handling systems)
- Experience of viral RNA testing using real-time (RT) PCR methodology or end-point PCR
- Experience of line managing people
- Excellent timekeeping
You will be joining a diverse and hugely welcoming team. Diversity at NHS Test and Trace is about reflecting the communities we serve, holding the principles of equality and inclusion at the heart of everything we do and all that we stand for, embracing differences, creating possibilities, and growing together. We aim to foster a culture where individuals of all backgrounds feel confident in bringing their whole selves to work, feel included and their talents are nurtured, empowering them to contribute fully to our purpose.
This is literally a once in a lifetime opportunity to join a team of highly skilled individuals, all focused on delivering the best possible outcome.
If you're ready for a new challenge and want to be part of the team delivering this essential lab work, please apply today.