Fixed Term Contract
We're currently seeking a Section Manager based in and around Milton Keynes to work within a state of the art, high output diagnostics laboratory environment as part of the UK's NHS Test and Trace programme.
As well as playing a vital role in supporting society's return to a more normal way of life by helping to break the chains of COVID-19 transmission, you will also gain invaluable experience and exposure to some of the country's most highly skilled individuals in the scientific community.
This represents a once in a lifetime opportunity to go above and beyond to support public health, while positioning your Scientific career for further success and growth.
If of interest and you meet the criteria of the below, please apply via the following link - https://bit.ly/34DZEaT.
As Section Manager, you will be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of a section associated with the Covid-19 daily testing of samples. Reporting to the Shift Manager on a daily basis, they assume responsibility for the Section Supervisor and/or Laboratory Operators/Assistants and will have overarching responsibility for managing and training laboratory staff. Working closely with the senior BMS, the post holder will manage and continue to develop the SARS-CoV-2 RNA testing processes, to ensure work in the laboratory is undertaken safely, efficiently and to the quality standards required of ISO15189:2012 laboratory accreditation. This will require the post holder to be able to create and review technical documents/SOPs in line with the above accreditation using the laboratory QMS.
Day to day activities in your role as a Section Manager will include:
- Responsible to manage the Section Supervisor and/or Lab Operators/Assistants in their section
- Responsible for arranging training for new staff and maintaining training records and competencies
- Liaising with the Shift Manager and BMS when errors and non-conformances arise from the section
- Troubleshooting any technical issues within the section
- Monitoring process changes and managing communication with Section Supervisors and staff across all teams
- Performing validations of reagents
- Create and review SOPs, amend as necessary and update staff on any changes to procedures
- Ensure all Health & Safety procedures are followed correctly
- Support the Shift Manager and deputise if required
In order to be successful in the role of our Lab Shift Manager, you'll need the following education, experience and skills:
- BSc Honours degree in a biological science
- Experience of maintaining documents and procedures within laboratory accreditation specifications (ISO15189:2012/ISO17025:2019)
- Knowledge and experience of Health & Safety regulations
- Exceptional organisational, communication and team-working skills
- Experience of training and supervision of staff in a laboratory setting
- Experience of line managing people
- Experience of using and troubleshooting PCR methods
- Positive attitude with proven problem-solving skills
- Willingness to participate in 24/7 shift working as required
You will be joining a diverse and hugely welcoming team. Diversity at NHS Test and Trace is about reflecting the communities we serve, holding the principles of equality and inclusion at the heart of everything we do and all that we stand for, embracing differences, creating possibilities, and growing together. We aim to foster a culture where individuals of all backgrounds feel confident in bringing their whole selves to work, feel included and their talents are nurtured, empowering them to contribute fully to our purpose.
This is literally a once in a lifetime opportunity to join a team of highly skilled individuals, all focused on delivering the best possible outcome.
If you're ready for a new challenge and want to be part of the team delivering this essential lab work, please apply today via https://bit.ly/34DZEaT.