Fixed Term Contract
We're currently seeking a Scientific Officer based in and around London to work within a state of the art, high output diagnostics laboratory environment as part of the UK's NHS Test and Trace programme.
As well as playing a vital role in supporting society's return to a more normal way of life by helping to break the chains of COVID-19 transmission, you will also gain invaluable experience and exposure to some of the country's most highly skilled individuals in the scientific community.
This represents a once in a lifetime opportunity to go above and beyond to support public health, while positioning your Scientific career for further success and growth.
Day to day activities in your role as a Scientific Officer will include:
- Lead the development and execution of clinical studies and associated viral / immunological assays.
- Provide scientific expertise and support to members of the R&D laboratory.
- Oversee the analysis and collation of study data.
- Ensure the timely delivery of research projects, updating key stakeholders.
- Assist in the preparation of scientific publications.
- Contribute to laboratory operational management and business development.
In order to be successful in the role of Scientific Officer you'll need the following education, experience and skills:
- Degree in biological science or equivalent
- Master degree in biological science or equivalent
- Knowledgeable in the fundamentals of molecular biology and related protocols (including DNA/RNA preparation, DNA/RNA quantification, hybridization, PCR, multiplex amplification and bead-based solutions)
- Experience of bench work in molecular biology
- Familiarity with handling biological samples
- Knowledge of laboratory safety and good laboratory practice
- Knowledge of legislation and good practice with respect to Clinical Governance, Good Clinical Practice and Research Ethics Committees.
- Ability to maintain good laboratory records
- Evidence of good team working with all levels of staff
It would also be advantageous to have the following:
- Demonstrated NGS experience (Ion Proton or Illumina)
- Experience in libraries preparation for NGS
You will be joining a diverse and hugely welcoming team. Diversity at NHS Test and Trace is about reflecting the communities we serve, holding the principles of equality and inclusion at the heart of everything we do and all that we stand for, embracing differences, creating possibilities, and growing together. We aim to foster a culture where individuals of all backgrounds feel confident in bringing their whole selves to work, feel included and their talents are nurtured, empowering them to contribute fully to our purpose.
This is literally a once in a lifetime opportunity to join a team of highly skilled individuals, all focused on delivering the best possible outcome.
If you're ready for a new challenge and want to be part of the team delivering this essential lab work, please apply today.