Fixed Term Contract
We're currently seeking Laboratory Technicians based in and around Aberdeen to help support the COVID-19 recovery scheme, working within a high output diagnostics laboratory environment, as part of the UK's NHS Test and Trace programme.
As well as playing a vital role in supporting society's return to a more normal way of life by helping to break the chains of COVID-19 transmission, you will also gain invaluable experience and exposure to some of the country's most highly skilled individuals in the scientific community.
This represents a once in a lifetime opportunity to go above and beyond to support public health, while also developing first-rate technical skills and setting your Scientific career up for future success.
You will be joining a supportive environment and will be provided with training and accreditation for the role and processes you are required to undertake.
As a Lab Technician, you will have at least 1 years laboratory experience working in a laboratory setting. Key responsibilities are likely to include sample setup, preparation of PCR reaction mixtures and appropriate controls, and operation of PCR instrumentation.
You will be responsible for working to ensure that processes are carried out safely, efficiently, and to the laboratory's required standards. This includes creating and reviewing technical documents and SOPs compliant with the laboratory's accredited standards.
In this role, you will:
- process samples from receipt, through to sample processing and storage, in line with laboratory and quality management processes.
- work in accordance with laboratory SOPs and ensure high levels of cleanliness in the laboratory area.
As the role responsibilities will vary between locations, your role may also include:
- Carrying out extraction and analysis
- identifying and processing samples that may have been compromised or do not meet the established acceptability criteria.
- tracking samples using a LIMS system.
In order to be successful, you'll need the following education, experience and skills:
- Degree in BSc Biomedical Sciences
- GCSE Maths or English (or equivalent)
- 1 year or more working in a laboratory setting (can be during degree)
- Experience working in Biosafety Cabinets
- Experience with pipetting and PCR
- Previous experience in RNA extraction studies
- Experience using and programming automated liquid platforms
Please note that Lab Technician roles are likely to be highly varied depending on the lab setting and assay procedure used. Applicants can reasonably expect to be trained on relevant lab procedures and equipment, subject to them meeting the Essential criteria listed, and are not necessarily expected to have practical experience in using alternative assay procedures e.g. LAMP.
As well as a competitive rate of pay you'll receive comprehensive training on relevant lab procedures and equipment.
This role will work on a shift pattern of 4 days on 4 days off and will include day, evening, and weekend shifts. You will be required to work in multiple locations around the UK. Please speak to our team to learn more.
You will also be joining a diverse and hugely welcoming team. Diversity is about reflecting the communities we serve, holding the principles of equality and inclusion at the heart of everything we do and all that we stand for, embracing differences, creating possibilities, and growing together. We aim to foster a culture where individuals of all backgrounds feel confident in bringing their whole selves to work, feel included and their talents are nurtured, empowering them to contribute fully to our purpose.
This is literally a once in a lifetime opportunity to join a team of highly skilled individuals, all focused on delivering the best possible outcome.