Fixed Term Contract
We're currently seeking Laboratory Technician based in and around London to help support the COVID-19 recovery scheme, working within a high output diagnostics laboratory environment, as part of the UK's NHS Test and Trace programme.
As well as playing a vital role in supporting society's return to a more normal way of life by helping to break the chains of COVID-19 transmission, you will also gain invaluable experience and exposure to some of the country's most highly skilled individuals in the scientific community.
This represents a once in a lifetime opportunity to go above and beyond to support public health, while also developing first-rate technical skills and setting your Scientific career up for future success.
You will be joining a supportive environment and will be provided with training and accreditation for the role and processes you are required to undertake.
This role would suit individuals with or working towards a scientific degree and will give the candidate the opportunity to broaden their molecular biology knowledge and practical skill set in a high throughput laboratory.
As a Laboratory Technician, you will be communicating with the supervisor and other lab personnel on a routine basis for the purpose of timely execution of key activities including: planning tests; ensuring adequate laboratory consumables are on hand to conduct said tests; ensuring that all tests are conducted on properly serviced and calibrated equipment, recording data in electronic, hand-written and other formats as appropriate; data analyses and reporting.
On a day to day basis you will to carry out laboratory related practical work in order that all necessary aspects of the job can be accomplished and to carry out processing of COVID-19 samples according to established standard operating procedures, as well performing laboratory analysis of test samples.
As a Laboratory Technician, you will be aware of and compliant with the University's policies and procedures in relation to confidentiality, health and safety at work, COSHH regulations, infection control, safe handling of drugs, and all local safety rules regarding fire, chemical, and other laboratory hazards
In order to be successful, you'll need the following education, experience and skills:
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office package and good computer skills, with experience of data entry
- Educated to A level standard or equivalent
- Able to use medical laboratory equipment under supervision
- Ability to perform assigned tasks according to prescribed procedures and to make accurate observations and records of tests results.
- A high level of integrity and honesty, and the ability to maintain confidentiality of patient, client, employee and laboratory business
- Ability to maintain good laboratory records
- Ability to read, interpret, and comply with documents such as internal SOPs, operating and maintenance instructions, and company policies
- Systematic and well organised person
- Good communication skills.
- Willingness to work flexibly as workload demands
In addition, the following education and experience are also desirable but not mandatory:
- Laboratory experience
- Knowledge of laboratory safety and good laboratory practice, specifically in relation to work with potentially infectious human blood and body fluids
- Knowledge of legislation and good practice with respect to Clinical Governance, Good Clinical Practice and Research Ethics Committees.
- Familiarity with handling biological samples
- Degree in biological science or equivalent
As well as a competitive rate of pay you'll receive comprehensive training on relevant lab procedures and equipment.
This role will work on a shift pattern and will include day, evening and weekend shifts. Please speak to our team to learn more.
This is literally a once in a lifetime opportunity to join a team of highly skilled individuals, all focused on delivering the best possible outcome.
If you're ready for a new challenge and want to be part of the team delivering this essential lab work, please apply today.