Fixed Term Contract
We're currently seeking Laboratory Shift Managers based in Milton Keynes to work within a state of the art, high output diagnostics laboratory environment as part of the UK's NHS Test and Trace programme.
As well as playing a vital role in supporting society's return to a more normal way of life by helping to break the chains of COVID-19 transmission, you will also gain invaluable experience in a fast-paced and dynamic laboratory environment.
This represents a once in a lifetime opportunity to go above and beyond to support public health, while also extending your already accomplished technical skills and positioning your Scientific career for further success and growth.
As a Laboratory Shift Manager you will be providing the laboratory with an individual experienced in molecular biology methods, with the ability to assist with the management of personnel and processes in the SARS-CoV-2 RNA testing laboratory.
As a proven leader you will be working closely with the Senior Biomedical Scientists and Section Supervisors and will be reporting to the Head of Laboratory Operations, ensuring that lab processes are carried out safely, efficiently and to the quality standards required of ISO15189:2012 laboratory accreditation. Effectively, you will have responsibility for SARS-CoV-2 RNA testing processes up to and including PCR plate preparation.
You will be responsible for overseeing the effective management and assessment of training and ongoing competency assessments of the laboratory staff in line with the organisations procedures. You will make sure all staff members are committed to the Health and Safety Policy and expected to adhere to the high standards of the company policies and share this commitment to work together to achieve excellence.
As a Laboratory Shift Manager on a day to day you will be making sure your staff will be aware of and work in accordance to the quality policy, relevant quality objectives and hold accountability to their contribution to the effectiveness of the quality management system; including understanding the benefits of improved performance and the implications of not conforming with the quality management system requirements.
In order to be successful in the role of Laboratory Shift Manager, you'll need the following education, experience and skills:
- A strong People Manager, with no scientific experience required
- Ability to manage a large team
- Ability to manage workload during busy periods
- Able to solve issues and raise escalations if required
- Having confidence and showing initiative in their day to day work
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with senior management
- Provide training workshops on behavior and conduct.
- Excellent communication skills
- Great organizational skills whilst managing other schedules
- Excellent time management
- Attention to detail, whilst under pressure
- Manual dexterity
- Keyboard skills with a working knowledge of laboratory computer systems
- Team leadership skills
- Mentoring skills
- Extensive team working skills
In addition, the following education and experience are also desirable but not mandatory:
- Higher-level degree or professional qualification (e.g. MSc, Higher Specialist portfolio)
- Experience of using liquid handling robots (e.g. TECAN liquid handling systems).
- Experience of viral RNA testing using real-time (RT) PCR methodology.
- Extensive experience of supervising a team in a laboratory setting.
- Experience in using end-Point PCR methods.
- Experience of Health and Safety regulations and procedures.
As well as a competitive rate of pay you'll receive comprehensive training on relevant lab procedures and equipment, with fantastic benefits. Please speak to our team to learn more.
This role will work on a shift pattern and will include day, evening and weekend shifts. The hours will be 8am-8pm/8pm-8am, 4 on for off, 1 month days, 1 month nights. Please speak to our team to learn more.
This is literally a once in a lifetime opportunity to join a team of highly skilled individuals, all focused on delivering the best possible outcome.
If you're ready for a new challenge and want to be part of the team delivering this essential lab work, please apply today.