Fixed Term Contract
Laboratory Shift Manager - Day Shift
We're currently seeking Laboratory Shift Managers based in and around Warwickshire to work within a state of the art, high output diagnostics laboratory environment as part of the UK's NHS Test and Trace programme.
As well as playing a vital role in supporting society's return to a more normal way of life by helping to break the chains of COVID-19 transmission, you will also gain invaluable experience and exposure to some of the country's most highly skilled individuals in the scientific community.
This represents a once in a lifetime opportunity to go above and beyond to support public health, while positioning your Scientific career for further success and growth.
As Shift Managers, you will be responsible for ensuring the smooth running of the labs on a given shift. You'll need to have a people management background, with proven experience of managing teams in a target-orientated environment, ideally gained in a laboratory context.
Day to day activities in your role as Shift Manager will include:
- Carrying out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the laboratories policies and applicable laws
- Organising staff placement per shift; working closely with the Chief Lab Scientist and Biomedical Scientist Leads to support the smooth running of patient testing
- Managing the shift including responsibility for the effective and successful management of productivity and quality control
- Ensure any accidents, incidents and near-misses are correctly reported to the H&S officer
- Ensuring consistent, fair and productive management of people
- Enhancing the operational procedure, systems and principles in the areas of information flow and management
- Responsibilities may include planning, assigning and directing work, addressing employee performance and corrective action plans
- Inputting to strategic planning and reviews, analysing process workflow, employee and space requirements and implementing necessary changes
- Managing relationships with key stakeholders and senior management
In order to be successful in the role of Shift Manager, you'll need the following education, experience and skills:
- Proven management experience
- Experience of supervising staff in a laboratory setting
- Experience of managing teams towards productivity and quality assurance targets
- Strong numerical and decision-making skills and be able to understand MI reports
- Evidence of excellent communication and extensive team-working skills
- Evidence of excellent attention to detail and strong organisational skills
In addition, the following education and experience are also desirable but not mandatory:
- Extensive experience of supervising a team in a laboratory related setting
- Experience of Health and Safety regulations and procedures
- Familiarity with performance management methodologies and associated HR processes
- Experience managing underperformance to deliver successful outcomes in a high-volume processing environment
As well as a competitive rate of pay (including a retention bonus), you'll receive comprehensive training on relevant lab procedures and equipment.
This role will require you to work one of the following shift patterns and will require full flexibility. Please be aware that you will be required to work one weekend day upon undertaking the daytime shift pattern. You will also be eligible for a 10% retention bonus.
- Day Shift pattern option 1: 37.5 hours over 4 days (Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday)
- Day shift pattern option 2: 37.5 hours over 4 days (Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday)
- Day shift pattern option 3: 37.5 hours over 4 days (Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday)
- Sunrise shift pattern: 37.5 hours over 5 days (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday)
We do also offer alternative shift options available, as follows:
- Full-time nights
- Part-time nights
To learn more, please speak to our team.
You will also be joining a diverse and hugely welcoming team. Diversity at NHS Test and Trace is about reflecting the communities we serve, holding the principles of equality and inclusion at the heart of everything we do and all that we stand for, embracing differences, creating possibilities, and growing together. We aim to foster a culture where individuals of all backgrounds feel confident in bringing their whole selves to work, feel included and their talents are nurtured, empowering them to contribute fully to our purpose.
This is literally a once in a lifetime opportunity to join a team of highly skilled individuals, all focussed on delivering the best possible outcome.
Please be aware that BPSS (Baseline Personnel Security Standard) including a media check, is the required level of screening for all staff working at the Leamington Spa Laboratory.
If you're ready for a new challenge and want to be part of the team delivering this essential lab work, please apply today.
This job advertisement refers to an assignment with NHS Test and Trace. The Impellam Group is working in partnership with NHS Test and Trace so you will be employed on a fixed term employment basis with an Employing Agency within the Impellam Group and not directly employed by NHS Test and Trace. Employing Agencies belonging to the Impellam Group include SRG, Medacs, Lorien and Blue Arrow. Contractual employment terms and conditions will be set out by the Employing Agency.