Fixed Term Contract
We're currently seeking Laboratory Shift Managers based in Plymouth to work within a state of the art, high output diagnostics laboratory environment as part of the UK's NHS Test and Trace programme.
As well as playing a vital role in supporting society's return to a more normal way of life by helping to break the chains of COVID-19 transmission, you will also gain invaluable experience in a fast-paced and dynamic laboratory environment.
This represents a once in a lifetime opportunity to go above and beyond to support public health, while also extending your already accomplished technical skills and positioning your Scientific career for further success and growth.
You will be responsible for the operational planning, organization and delivery of the quality diagnostic Pathology service, for the designated shift.
You will be is responsible for ensuring that all accreditation standards set by national bodies, including UKAS are met, is part of the job role, and understanding the use of ISO 15189: 2012 standards. This ensures the department is delivering a safe service for the staff and its users.
You will be providing professional leadership to Scientific, Technical and Support staff within their designated shift.
You will be managing the Departmental Specialties in accordance with the policies and procedures of the Trust.
In order to be successful in the role of Laboratory Shift Manager, you'll need the following education, experience and skills:
- Fellow of the Institute of Biomedical Sciences (FIBMS) by examination or hold an MSc in Biomedical Sciences or hold an equivalent qualification in a Clinical Pathology discipline or demonstrable experience.
- A Post Graduate Management Diploma or demonstrable equivalent management experience
- State registration with Healthcare Professions Council (HCPC)
- Attendance at short courses on relevant management issues e.g. interviewing, managing people, managing sickness etc.
- Ability to demonstrate and apply knowledge of the Pathology of disease in one or more disciplines within Microbiology
- Specialist knowledge and experience in the technical field of a Pathology discipline
- Significant experience in a Senior role in a Pathology Laboratory within a Department, which handles a total workload of 500k patient requests per annum.
- Previous experience of staff development, training, performance and conduct management, sickness absence management and successful management of change
- A working knowledge and practical application of a Pathology IT system, use of Oracle the requisitioning of stock to maintain
- Participation in Continual Professional Development (CPD)
- Experience of all H&S issues, relating to the laboratory activity including national and European directives and writing Standard Operating Procedures
- Experience of Project Management
- Experience of UKAS, audit and management
- Experience of purchasing tendering processes
- Understanding of Trust Standard Financial Instructions and budgetary control
- Knowledge of Risk Management, Clinical Governance and CNST
- Excellent communication skills; both internal and external staff including other NHS Trusts
- Excellent influencing and interpersonal skills
- Excellent negotiating and motivational skills
- Great organizational skills whilst managing other schedules
- Excellent time management
- Attention to detail, whilst under pressure
- Manual dexterity
- Keyboard skills with a working knowledge of laboratory computer systems; including MS PowerPoint for presenting
- Team leadership skills
- Multitasking skills
- Accepts responsibility
- Good telephone manners
- Mentoring skills
In addition, the following education and experience are also desirable but not mandatory:
- Participation in the Institute of Biomedical Sciences CPD scheme
- Advanced Computing skills
- Experience of ISOFT iLab , Sunquest ICE and iCM Pathology IT systems.
- Working knowledge of PIMS
As well as a competitive rate of pay (with a 20% uplift applied for night shifts, weekends and bank holidays), you'll receive comprehensive training on relevant lab procedures and equipment.
This role will work on a shift pattern and will include day, evening and weekend shifts. Please speak to our team to learn more.
This is literally a once in a lifetime opportunity to join a team of highly skilled individuals, all focused on delivering the best possible outcome.
If you're ready for a new challenge and want to be part of the team delivering this essential lab work, please apply today.