Fixed Term Contract
We're currently seeking Laboratory Senior Scientist based in and around Bracknell to help support the COVID-19 recovery scheme, working within a high output diagnostics laboratory environment, as part of the UK's NHS Test and Trace programme.
As well as playing a vital role in supporting society's return to a more normal way of life by helping to break the chains of COVID-19 transmission, you will also gain invaluable experience and exposure to some of the country's most highly skilled individuals in the scientific community.
This represents a once in a lifetime opportunity to go above and beyond to support public health, while also developing first-rate technical skills and setting your Scientific career up for future success.
You will be joining a supportive environment and will be provided with training and accreditation for the role and processes you are required to undertake.
As an experienced scientist in molecular/virology fields, the post holder is expected to use their knowledge and skills and act with a degree of autonomy in providing a COVID-19 testing service.
As a Senior Scientist, you will be under the overall direction of the Clinical Lead for the service and the post holder is expected to work in support of the Lead Scientist in the provision of the required service. You are expected to assist in scientific development, evaluation and research performed by scientific and technical staff in the department.
On a day to day basis you will assist in managing the junior scientific and technical staff in the department, this will include making sure they are aware of and comply with legal obligations to health and safety in the laboratory, confidentiality of patient information and employment regulations.
As a Senior Scientist you will be assisting in the provision of a COVID-19 testing service, whilst maintaining the highest possible standards of scientific work appropriate for a comprehensive, efficient, and cost effective COVID-19 testing service.
In order to be successful, you'll need the following education, experience and skills:
- Experience working at a Senior Level
- Supervisory & training experience
- Good grasp of Health & Safety issues, COSHH, ISO & quality issues
- Full awareness & appreciation of service specific knowledge base
- MSc in Biomedical Science / Medical Microbiology /Virology or equivalent
- Relevant IBMS Specialist Diploma(s) or equivalent specialist laboratory experience
- Evidence of Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
- Demonstrable commitment to and focus on quality, promotes high standards to consistently improve patient outcomes
- Demonstrable skill to work together to serve our community through delivering safe and excellent clinical care
- Excellent written communication and attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and non-verbal communication skills.
- Ability to actively listen to and hear peoples issues and concerns.
- Ability to communicate difficult, complex and contentious information in a way that is heard and understood
- Able to work under own initiative and without direct supervision within responsibilities of role
- Able to manage and prioritise own workload and that of others as appropriate
- Demonstrates sound understanding of personal and professional accountability
- Shows motivation in developing new skills and knowledge. Embraces change and innovation positively and with enthusiasm.
- Shows interest in facilitating learning and development of others
In addition, the following education and experience are also desirable but not mandatory:
- State registered with HCPC
- Experience of laboratory computer systems
- Experience of out of hours working
As well as a competitive rate of pay with unsociable hours uplift applied for night working and end of contract bonus, you'll receive comprehensive training on relevant lab procedures and equipment.
This role will work on a 12 hour shift patterns. These will be 8am - 8pm / 8pm - 8am, 4 days on and 4 days off, 1 month days/1 month nights. For more information about the salary and fantastic work benefits please contact a member of the team.
You will also be joining a diverse and hugely welcoming team. Diversity is about reflecting the communities we serve, holding the principles of equality and inclusion at the heart of everything we do and all that we stand for, embracing differences, creating possibilities, and growing together. We aim to foster a culture where individuals of all backgrounds feel confident in bringing their whole selves to work, feel included and their talents are nurtured, empowering them to contribute fully to our purpose.
This is literally a once in a lifetime opportunity to join a team of highly skilled individuals, all focused on delivering the best possible outcome.