Fixed Term Contract
We're currently seeking Laboratory Deputy Lead Scientist based in and around Bracknell to help support the COVID-19 recovery scheme, working within a high output diagnostics laboratory environment, as part of the UK's NHS Test and Trace programme.
As well as playing a vital role in supporting society's return to a more normal way of life by helping to break the chains of COVID-19 transmission, you will also gain invaluable experience and exposure to some of the country's most highly skilled individuals in the scientific community.
This represents a once in a lifetime opportunity to go above and beyond to support public health, while also developing first-rate technical skills and setting your Scientific career up for future success.
You will be joining a supportive environment and will be provided with training and accreditation for the role and processes you are required to undertake.
As a Deputy Lead Scientist, you will provide line management to scientific staff within the new COVID-19 Lighthouse Testing Laboratory in Bracknell, forming part of NHS Test and Trace and managed by Berkshire and Surrey Pathology Services (BSPS). BSPS is a large and established pathology network operating across Royal Berkshire, Royal Surrey, Frimley Health and Ashford and St Peter's Hospitals NHS Foundation Trusts. You will participate in the provision of an efficient and cost effective COVID-19 testing service within Berkshire and Surrey Pathology Services.
You will be working through the Lead Scientist / Laboratory Manager, and in close liaison with the Clinical Lead, and you will be responsible for the day to day management of staff and resources within the department. On a day to day basis you will provide technical lead and expertise within the department and will assist the Lead Scientist in facilitating the organisation and management of all technical work within the specialty.
As a Deputy Lead Scientist you will responsible for the day to day operation and staff management within the department, ensuring the uninterrupted delivery of a quality specialist service, managing deficiencies of resources where necessary, under the overall direction of the Lead Scientist. You will assist the Lead Scientist in organising and facilitating in-house training, testing and certification of technical staff and in-house training of junior medical staff if required.
In order to be successful, you'll need the following education, experience and skills:
- Experience of working at a management level
- Experience of recruitment process
- Supervisory & training experience
- Experience of laboratory computer systems
- Experience of conducting staff appraisals
- Experience of out of hours working
- Experience of budget management
- Experience of stock management and replenishment process
- Good grasp of Health & Safety issues, COSHH, CPA/ISO, HTA process & quality issue
- MSc in Biomedical Science Biomedical Science/ Medical Microbiology / Virology or equivalent
- Extensive relevant specialist laboratory experience
- Excellent written communication and attention to detail A
- Excellent verbal and non verbal communication skills.
- Ability to actively listen to and hear peoples issues and concerns
- Ability to communicate difficult, complex and contentious information in a way that is heard and understood
- Enthusiastic approach
- Confident and personable
- Rational and logical approach to problem solving
- Able to work under own initiative and without direct supervision within responsibilities of role
- Able to manage and prioritise own workload and that of others as appropriate
- Demonstrates ability to work effectively within a team
- Demonstrates sound understanding of personal and professional accountability
- Shows motivation in developing new skills and knowledge
- Embraces change and innovation positively and with enthusiasm
- Shows interest in facilitating learning and development of others
As well as a competitive rate of pay with unsociable hours uplift applied for night working and end of contract bonus, you'll receive comprehensive training on relevant lab procedures and equipment.
This role will work on a 12 hour shift patterns. These will be 8am - 8pm / 8pm - 8am, 4 days on and 4 days off, 1 month days/1 month nights. For more information about the salary and fantastic work benefits please contact a member of the team.
You will also be joining a diverse and hugely welcoming team. Diversity is about reflecting the communities we serve, holding the principles of equality and inclusion at the heart of everything we do and all that we stand for, embracing differences, creating possibilities, and growing together. We aim to foster a culture where individuals of all backgrounds feel confident in bringing their whole selves to work, feel included and their talents are nurtured, empowering them to contribute fully to our purpose.
This is literally a once in a lifetime opportunity to join a team of highly skilled individuals, all focused on delivering the best possible outcome.