Fixed Term Contract
We're currently seeking Laboratory Assistant based in and around Bracknell to help support the COVID-19 recovery scheme, working within a high output diagnostics laboratory environment, as part of the UK's NHS Test and Trace programme.
As well as playing a vital role in supporting society's return to a more normal way of life by helping to break the chains of COVID-19 transmission, you will also gain invaluable experience and exposure to some of the country's most highly skilled individuals in the scientific community.
This represents a once in a lifetime opportunity to go above and beyond to support public health, while also developing first-rate technical skills and setting your Scientific career up for future success.
You will be joining a supportive environment and will be provided with training and accreditation for the role and processes you are required to undertake.
To assist in the departmental work as instructed, following SOPs under the supervision of the site laboratory managers, team leaders, training staff and / or scientific staff
- Receipt of COVID-19 testing samples into the department from transport services
- Unpacks samples and checks that they are intact, suitable for testing and appropriately labelled with tracking barcodes, raising any problems with a senior colleague where necessary
- Enters the sample details into the laboratory computer systems
- To keep the laboratory manager informed of all matters regarding laboratory procedures and help with the smooth running of the department, to minimise errors and maximise efficiency through agreed priorities and to achieve testing targets.Following SOPs, undertake waste disposal of laboratory samples and used consumables (including the operation of an autoclave if required)
- Assist in monitoring stock control of consumables held in stores
- Regular and thorough cleaning of equipment and work benches, complying with SOPs
- To inform a team leader, section head or scientist of any equipment problems
In order to be successful, you'll need the following education, experience and skills:
· Experience of working in a relevant laboratory
· Experience & knowledge of duties required to support senior lab staff gained by experience in a similar role
· Good education to A Levels, NVQ 4 or IBMS Certificate of Achievement (Part 2) or Foundation degree, in a science based subject
· Willing to undergo relevant training to ensure sound relevant knowledge
· Demonstrable commitment to and focus on quality, promotes high standards to consistently improve patient outcomes
· Demonstrable skill to work together to serve our community through delivering safe and excellent clinical care
· Value diversity and difference, operates with integrity and openness
· Treating others with compassion, empathy and respect
· Share information openly and effectively with patients, staff and relatives
· Works across boundaries, looks for collective success, listens, involves, respects and learns from the contribution of others
· Uses evidence to make improvements, increase efficiency's and seeks out innovation
· Actively develops themselves and others
· Able to understand and follow Standard Operating Procedures
· Able to follow written instructions
As well as a competitive rate of pay you'll receive comprehensive online training/E-learning platform for professional development.
You will also be joining a diverse and hugely welcoming team. Diversity is about reflecting the communities we serve, holding the principles of equality and inclusion at the heart of everything we do and all that we stand for, embracing differences, creating possibilities, and growing together. We aim to foster a culture where individuals of all backgrounds feel confident in bringing their whole selves to work, feel included and their talents are nurtured, empowering them to contribute fully to our purpose.
This job advertisement refers to an assignment with NHS Test and Trace. The Impellam Group is working in partnership with NHS Test and Trace so you will be employed on a fixed term employment basis with an Employing Agency within the Impellam Group and not directly employed by NHS Test and Trace. Employing Agencies belonging to the Impellam Group include SRG, Medacs, Lorien and Blue Arrow. Contractual employment terms and conditions will be set out by the Employing Agency.
This is literally a once in a lifetime opportunity to join a team of highly skilled individuals, all focused on delivering the best possible outcome.