Fixed Term Contract
We're currently seeking Laboratory Assistant based in and around Bracknell to work within a state of the art, high output diagnostics laboratory environment as part of the UK's NHS Test and Trace programme, helping society's return to a more normal way of life.
Gain invaluable experience and exposure to some of the country's most highly skilled individuals in the scientific community and join a supportive environment where training and accreditation (where relevant) will be provided for this role.
What you can expect:
The job holder will work in a new COVID-19 Lighthouse Testing Laboratory in Bracknell, forming part of NHS Test and Trace and managed by Berkshire and Surrey Pathology Services (BSPS). BSPS is a large and established pathology network operating across Royal Berkshire, Royal Surrey, Frimley Health and Ashford and St Peter's Hospitals NHS Foundation Trusts
What we're looking for:
- Assist in the preparation of COVID-19 analytical work by receiving, unpacking, labelling and entering pathology specimen requests onto the laboratory computer system under supervision of a team leader
- Be required to follow Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) at all times
- Be required to communicate with pathology staff, hospital staff, porters, drivers and couriers
- Receive deliveries, unload and scan consignments of boxed Covid-19 testing samples and laboratory consumables
- Unpack sealed Covid-19 testing sample bags
- Check suitability of samples for testing, use of ovens and uncapping and removing swabs from sample tubes
- Transport samples, consumables and waste to and from the laboratory
- Dispose of waste packing materials from deliveries and waste from the laboratory, as required
- Good basic education and ability to follow oral and written instructions
You will receive a minimum 6 weeks contract that will be extend to fixed term
Working hours and shift times
The role will work on rotating day and night patterns (including some weekend work) with flexible start times.
Please be aware that Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS)
Diversity at NHS Test and Trace
You will be joining a diverse and hugely welcoming team that reflects the communities we serve. We aim to foster a culture where individuals of all backgrounds feel confident in bringing their whole selves to work, feel included and empowering them to contribute fully at work.
If you're ready for a new challenge and want to be part of the team delivering this essential lab work, please apply today.