Fixed Term Contract
Data Scientist - Day Shift
We're currently seeking Data Scientists based in and around Leamington Spa with experience of processing large data sets. You will work within a state of the art, high output diagnostics laboratory environment as part of the UK's NHS Test and Trace programme.
As well as playing a vital role in supporting society's return to a more normal way of life by helping to break the chains of COVID-19 transmission. You will gain invaluable experience and exposure to some of the country's most highly skilled individuals in the scientific community.
This represents a once in a lifetime opportunity to go above and beyond to support public health, while also extending your already accomplished scientific data skills and positioning your career for further success and growth while also enabling NHS career paths.
You will be responsible for the analysis of sample data, identification of anomalous results, and will have a key role in confirming the quality of batches of data before these are communicated to patients. Sample data is received through the Laboratory Information Management System database. The data then moves through a decision tree overseen by the data scientist via a specialised software package. The role is responsible for the operational continuity of data analysis over a shift period to ensure sample throughput on the diagnostic lines whilst maintaining data integrity and quality.
- Support laboratory management in respect of assay analysis, day to day operational issue management, and maintenance of the end-to-end clinical diagnostics workflow for COVID testing.
- You will be expected to process large data sets accurately and work closely with quality management to uphold ISO 15189 accreditation standards.
- Manage the flow of data out of the laboratories, resulting in correct patient sample reporting.
- Analyse non-clinical data as part of process optimisation and escalate any quality control issues relating to performance to the quality manager.
- Track and manage non-conformities in a consistent way leveraging the quality management tools, issue management process and business issue prioritisation.
- Work with the quality team to ensure good change control, release management and documentation to maintain the validated state of the assay reporting system and enhance and improve the lab processes over time.
- Manage and drive interactions between the LIMS and assay reporting software and other Core Lab IT vendors to escalate, investigate and resolve support issues and product feature requests.
In order to be successful in the role, you'll need the following education and experience:
- BSc Honours degree in a biological science or systems biology discipline or equivalent science and engineering disciplines with relevant experience
- Proven track record in analysing and interpreting large data sets and statistical analysis
- Understanding and knowledge of qPCR and the use of controls to trouble shoot the process
- Collaborative or direct experience of working within a fast paced laboratory environment
- Experience with database software and data analysis tools
- Knowledge of laboratory instrument connectivity
- For a Lead role - you will also need experience of line management and have the ability to delegate workloads and work across a remote platform.
Please note that whilst database user experience is required, training for the specific LIMS software and data handling packages to be used will be provided.
As well as a competitive rate of pay (including a retention bonus), you'll receive comprehensive training on relevant lab procedures and equipment.
This role will require you to work one of the following shift patterns and will require full flexibility. Please be aware that you will be required to work one weekend day upon undertaking the daytime shift pattern.
- Day Shift pattern option 1: 37.5 hours over 4 days (Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday)
- Day shift pattern option 2: 37.5 hours over 4 days (Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday)
- Day shift pattern option 3: 37.5 hours over 4 days (Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday)
- Sunrise shift pattern: 37.5 hours over 5 days (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday)
We do also offer alternative shift options available, as follows:
- Full-time nights
- Part-time nights
To learn more, please speak to our team.
You will also be joining a diverse and hugely welcoming team. Diversity at NHS Test and Trace is about reflecting the communities we serve, holding the principles of equality and inclusion at the heart of everything we do and all that we stand for, embracing differences, creating possibilities, and growing together. We aim to foster a culture where individuals of all backgrounds feel confident in bringing their whole selves to work, feel included and their talents are nurtured, empowering them to contribute fully to our purpose.
This is literally a once in a lifetime opportunity to join a team of highly skilled individuals, all focused on delivering the best possible outcome.
Please be aware that BPSS (Baseline Personnel Security Standard) including a media check, is the required level of screening for all staff working at the Leamington Spa Laboratory.
If you're ready for a new challenge and want to be part of the team delivering this essential lab work, please apply today.
This job advertisement refers to an assignment with NHS Test and Trace. The Impellam Group is working in partnership with NHS Test and Trace so you will be employed on a fixed term employment basis with an Employing Agency within the Impellam Group and not directly employed by NHS Test and Trace. Employing Agencies belonging to the Impellam Group include SRG, Medacs, Lorien and Blue Arrow. Contractual employment terms and conditions will be set out by the Employing Agency.