Working at Royal Leamington Spa
What you can expect as our Bioscientist Lead
As a Bioscientist/Diagnostic Scientist Lead, you will be required to perform quality assurance and oversee lab teams conducting the end to end lab processes from sample receipt, through RNA extraction to delivery of PCR data. This includes the ability to think critically and problem solve to ensure lab processes are carried out according to lab accreditation standards.
Bioscientist/Diagnostic Scientist Leads will also be responsible for the effective identification and escalation of risks and issues. In addition, you will manage the testing and introduction of new methodologies, as well as working with Shift Supervisors, Quality Managers and Health and Safety Managers to ensure the highest lab standards.
Key responsibilities will include the undertaking and processing of biomedical specimens by handling human biological samples and using a variety of PCR methods. You will also be analysing and entering the results of your tests onto computer.
You may also be responsible for the supervision or training of less experienced lab staff in your area of competence.
To be successful in this role, you must be a HCPC registered Biomedical Scientist and should not work outside of your defined field of competence. This role also requires you to be experienced in molecular biology methods.
In order to be successful, you’ll need the following education, experience and skills:
• HCPC Registered to practise as a Biomedical Scientist
• Biomedical Science degree
• Evidence of Continual Professional Development
• Experience of training and supervising staff in a laboratory setting
• Extensive experience in using a variety of PCR methods
• Using end-point PCR methods
• RNA extraction studies
• Excellent communication and problem-solving skills.
• Can work with minimal supervision
• Attention to detail.
In addition, the following education and experience are also desirable but not mandatory:
• Additional appropriate specialist qualification if required
• Higher-level degree/qualification e.g. MSc, Higher Specialist portfolio
• Working with pathology IT
• Viral RNA testing using real-time (RT) PCR methodology
• Knowledge of Quality Management Services
• Knowledge/Performance of Risk Assessments